What Do I Need A Canadian Social Insurance Number For?

What Do I Need A Canadian Social Insurance Number For?

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a number issued to residents in Canada by the Canadian government agencies for easy identification. One of the first steps to begin working in Canada is to obtain a SIN, which without it you will not be allowed to work in Canada at least not legally.

It is a Nine-digit number significantly required when you do government related transactions such as; paying taxes, working, accessing government funds and benefits, etc.

The Social Insurance Number is for everyone who resides in Canada, Citizens, Permanent or Temporary residents all included provided you are above 18 years. Although, there will be a termination date for immigrants who are in Canada on a temporary basis and also the refugee claimants.

The program was first introduced as far as 1964 to help control and manage Canada Pension Plan and Insurance Programs.

How To Apply for a Social Insurance Number

The first step as a resident in Canada is to obtain, fill, and submit your SIN application form, which is totally free.

You will have to download the form online from the Service Canada Centre. Fill the form correctly, gather all the needed documents and then submit all to Service Canada Centre. Immediately after your application, you will receive your SIN once it is certified that you have met all the requirements.

You can also apply via mail if you have no Service Canada Centre close to you. You could also give them a call to check if you are eligible using 1-800-206-7218.

Documents Required

For Citizens

  • Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
  • Certificate of Indian Status

For Permanent Resident

  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil in foreign passport
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence and Visa counterfoil on Single Journey Document for Resettlement to Canada.

For Temporary Resident

  • Work Permit
  • Study Permit
  • Visitor Record that shows you are authorized to work in Canada
  • Diplomatic Identity Card

If you recently changed your name

  • Marriage certificate or marriage registration
  • Divorce Decree
  • Legal change of name document
  • Request to Amend Record of Landing
  • Adoption order


Originally posted 2019-10-25 14:00:08. Latest Buzz On IbuzzUp Media

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *