A lot of students enroll in a master’s program immediately after finishing their bachelor’s degree. Students who enroll for master’s degrees usually want to build on their previous careers or come back to college for a career change. The vast majority of these programs are quite expensive. Below are the top scholarships in Canada for masters and graduate students
To be considered for the Vanier Scholarship, you need to demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of academic achievement in Masters’ programs in Engineering, Natural Sciences, Health, Social Sciences, or Humanities.
The Canadian Government awards up to 167 scholarships annually. At any time, there are a total of up to 500 students with Vanier scholarships for their Ph.D. programs in various Canadian institutions.
The International Master’s and Doctoral Student Awards at the University of Waterloo are great funding opportunities for international students. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- Eligible students must be enrolled full-time in research-based graduate degree programs at the University of Waterloo and hold a valid Canadian study permit
- Students must meet the academic progress requirements of their program, and not have outstanding probationary admission requirements, or be concurrently receiving external awards or sponsorships, or be self-funded
- Valued at $2,045 per term for 2 years (Master’s) or $4,090 per term for 3 years (Ph.D.)
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS) program is funded by the provincial government to encourage excellence in graduate studies at the masters and doctoral levels. It is a merit-based scholarship and awards are available to students, including international students, in all disciplines of academic study. Key points of this scholarship include:
- It is valued at $15,000 per year
- The minimum duration the scholarship may be held for is two consecutive terms
- Be an international student studying in Ontario with a student study permit to be eligible for this award
Ontario Trillium Scholarship program aims to attract more of the best qualified international students to Ontario for their Ph.D. studies. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- Each OTS is valued at $40,000 annually and is automatically renewable for an additional three years
- Six new awardees are selected every year at Waterloo
- Recipients must be international students, who hold a valid Canadian study permit and must be intending to pursue full-time graduate studies at the doctoral level in a degree-granting program
The University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships (UMGF) are merit-based awards that are open to students of any nationality who will be registered as full-time graduate students (Masters or Ph.D.) at the University of Manitoba.
- The scholarship is valued at $18,000 (PhD) and $14,000 (Master’s) for a 12-month period
- Students are eligible to receive fellowships for the first 24 months of their Master’s program and the first 48 months of their Ph.D. program
- Students with a minimum GPA of 3.75 (above B+) in each of the last two years of study at a recognized university based on a Bachelor, Master’s Graduate Diploma, or a Doctoral Degree
- Students in all fields of graduate study with the exception of those in the College of Medicine and in the Master of Business Administration (MBA) program are eligible to apply
International students are eligible to apply for many of the awards administered through the University of Calgary Graduate Scholarship Office. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- You may apply for awards after you have submitted an application for admission and receive a University of Calgary student number.
- You must apply for graduate awards; you are not automatically considered.
- Scholarship value ranges from $1,000 to $40,000 and covers different fields of study
The Graduate Global Leadership Fellowships enable promising leaders from developing countries to pursue doctoral studies at UBC. The fellowships aim to support international students showing outstanding leadership in humanitarian and development work in their home country. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- The scholarship value is $18,200 per year plus tuition for four years
- Two new fellowships will be offered each year
- Be a citizen of a developing country
Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships are offered by the Canadian government to international students undertaking postgraduate study within the natural and social sciences or health research. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- 70 fellowships are awarded annually; a total of up to 140 awards are active at any time
- Valued at $70,000 per year and for a maximum of 2 years
The objective of the Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (CGS M) Program is to help develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of achievement in undergraduate and early graduate studies. Here are the key points of this scholarship:
- Valued at $17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable
- be enrolled in, have applied for, or will apply for full-time admission to an eligible graduate program at the master’s or doctoral level at a Canadian institution with a CGS M allocation
Latest Buzz On IbuzzUp Media