Necessary Requirements To Apply For A Canadian Co-Op Work Permit

Necessary Requirements To Apply For A Canadian Co-Op Work Permit

A Co-Op or Internship work permit (which can be referred to just as a Co-Op work permit) enables students to work when the work is for credit and is essential to their program of study.

You should have a Co-Op work permit if your work (for example Co-Op placement or Internship) is fundamental to your program of study.

Your Co-Op work permit must be utilized for only this sort of work and you may at the same time hold a Co-Op work permit and work outside campus that is if you meet the necessary criteria for each. The Co-Op work permit will be issued for a similar time frame as your study permit.

What do you mean by “Integral to your program of study”?

The Co-Op work permit is just for work that is meant for credit and is a required piece of your scholarly program, for example, an official UBC Co-Op work terms, necessary internship jobs, and practicum placements. Integral here implies that you can’t graduate except if you complete the work term.

The Co-Op work permit can’t be utilized for work that isn’t a piece of your official scholarly or Academic program of study. For instance, it can’t be utilized for temporary jobs required by external funding associations.

But by any chance you don’t know whether your work is a basic part of your scholarly program, it would be ideal if you counsel with both your Academic Advisor and an International Student Advisor to ensure you are qualified to apply.

Who may apply for a Co-Op work permit?

You may apply for a Co-Op work permit if:

  1. You have a substantial study permit
  2. Working is required to finish your course program in Canada
  3. You have a document from your school that affirms all undergraduates or students in your program must complete a work placement to get their certificate
  4. Your Co-Op or Internship is half or less of the total program of study

You aren’t qualified for a Co-Op work permit if you are:

  1. Studying English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL) or
  2. Studying general interest courses or courses to get ready for another study program.

In these cases, you have to get a legal work license to work in Canada. You can submit your application for a Co-Op work permit at the same time with the application for your study permit.

A foreign student may apply for a Co-Op work permit later in his or her program. In any case, because of processing time, it is advised that anybody who selected a program requiring a compulsory work placement applies for the Co-Op work permit adequately ahead of time for the expected start date of the placement, as an undergraduate can’t start the arrangement without the Co-Op work permit. The application might be submitted on the internet or via mail.

Originally posted 2019-07-13 14:01:03. Latest Buzz On IbuzzUp Media

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *