Librarian Job Openings In USA
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with the Carson City Library. Under general supervision performs a wide variety of professional librarian duties in the activities of the library including reference and technical services. Performs related duties as required.
*** AN ELIGIBILITY LIST IS BEING ESTABLISHED WITH THIS RECRUITMENT. ALL CANDIDATES WHO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE PLACED ON THE ELIGIBILITY LIST FOR SIX MONTHS, AND MAY BE CONSIDERED FOR ANY FUTURE VACANCIES. ***
Education and Experience:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to qualify: A Master of Library Science degree from an American Library Association accredited college or university.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Basic principles and procedures of professional library work including methods, practices and techniques of library classification, cataloging, and reference services.
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
- Basic principles of supervision and training.
- Safe work practices.
- Department policies, procedures, organization and operating details.
- Services and functions of a public library system.
- Public library materials selection standards and procedures.
- Troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Learn to perform full range of technical and professional library tasks in areas of reference and technical services.
- Work well with children and adults.
- Assist library patrons in response to reference and related library questions.
- Overseeing and training volunteers and part-time staff in work procedures.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mobility to work in a typical office setting, use standard office equipment and stamina to sit for extended periods of time; strength to lift and carry up to 20 pounds; vision to read printed materials; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or over the telephone; exposure to traffic conditions and external environment when traveling from one office to another.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All new employees will serve a probationary period of twelve (12) months. Such employees are not subject to the collective bargaining agreement and may be laid off or discharged during this period for any reason.
Continued employment is contingent upon all required licenses and certificates being maintained in active status without suspension or revocation.
Any City employee may be required to stay at or return to work during emergencies to perform duties specific to this classification or to perform other duties as requested in an assigned response position.
This may require working a non-traditional work schedule or working outside normal assigned duties during the incident and/or emergency.
Employees may be required to complete Incident Command System training as a condition of continuing employment.
New employees are required to submit to a fingerprint based background investigation which cost the new employee $52.25 and a drug/alcohol screen which costs $36.50. Employment is contingent upon passing the background and the drug/alcohol screen.
Carson City participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each applicant’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
All candidates who are offered employment with Carson City must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 along with the required proof of their right to work in the United States and proof of their identity prior to starting employment. Please be prepared to provide required documentation as soon as possible after the job offer is made.