The first step to working in Canada legally is to first get a working visa. To do that you need to first secure a job offer from a government-approved employer. To easily secure a job in Canada you need to apply for jobs that are in high demand. Currently, there is a high demand for barbers in Canada, and applicants are more likely to secure a job position now more than ever.
To work in Canada, you also need to meet the necessary requirements to live and work in Canada first as a temporary resident and with time you can apply for a permanent work permit. So, what are the requirement needed to become a barber in Canada?
You must complete the following
- You should have some education, at least a secondary school education.
- You are also required to undertake a two-year apprenticeship or another barber program is usually required.
- On-the-job training may be substituted for formal education.
- Trade certification for barbers is available, but voluntary, in British Columbia and the Yukon.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to barbers, as qualified hairstylists, upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.
- Some provinces also require that you are certified by a regulatory authority before you can commence work.
- If you live outside of Canada, you may be required to show proof of working experience of not less than three years.
- You must also be eligible to work in Canada and be admissible.
If you are already living in canada, you can proceed with the process of acquiring a professional certificate and they involve:
- Sign up and enroll at a registered school
- Get hired as an apprentice
- Register your apprenticeship
- Start Working to gain experience and master the skill
- write a certification exam after completing 1500hrs and 2000hr on the job practical training (for a total of 3500 hours)
- Receive your professional certificate and work as an owner.
Below we have listed a job opening for serious applicants, you can start applying for the position now to secure the job and then apply for your work visa
Other trades certificate or diploma
or equivalent experience
3 years to less than 5 years
Hair Styling Techniques
Iron waving/curling; Blow drying
Shampoo customers' hair; Order supplies and equipment; Book appointments; Train other workers
Barbershop or hair-styling salon/studio
Work Site Environment
Wet/damp; Noisy; Non-smoking
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities
Manual dexterity; Attention to detail; Standing for extended periods
Work Location Information
Urban area; Relocation costs not covered by employer
Effective interpersonal skills; Flexibility; Excellent oral communication; Client focus; Dependability; Reliability
Hairstylist Specific Skills
Suggest hair style compatible with client's physical features or determine style from client's instructions and preferences; Cut, trim, taper, curl, wave, perm and style hair; Analyze hair and scalp condition and provide basic treatment or advice on beauty care treatments for scalp and hair
Barber Specific Skills
Shave and trim beards and mustaches; Cut and trim hair according to client's instructions or preferences
How to Apply
Include this reference number in your application
Latest Buzz On IbuzzUp Media