Canada has always been in support of family reunification, bringing family members and loved ones together is of great importance. Immigrants who come to Canada are often given the privilege to support and sponsor family members and loved ones to Canada.
In order to ensure that families are reunited, Canada introduced immigration programs and streams to help bring families to Canada. Candidates must qualify and obtain permanent residency or citizenship to be eligible for sponsorship.
The Canadian Family Class Sponsorship Program will only allow certain members and close relatives to be sponsored, and they include:
- Common-law partner
- Conjugal partner
- Dependent child
- Adopted children
- Sibling, nephew, niece, or grandchild under 18 years who is unmarried and whose parents are deceased
These are the people eligible for sponsoring, and they must reside outside Canada or live in the country as students or workers temporarily.
To become a sponsor, you must meet certain requirements which include a permanent residence status and others.
The Requirements to Become a Sponsor includes:
- The person must currently reside in Canada as a permanent resident before applying or plans to move back to Canada when the sponsored arrives.
- The sponsor must not be a fugitive or be convicted for any serious crimes such as rape, stealing, or any form of abuse.
- Must not be on a removal order.
- The person must be financially stable and must have enough funds to take care of the sponsored person.
- If you were sponsored to Canada, you will not be able to sponsor another.
- If you have a spouse or partner who you sponsored but has not yet become a permanent resident, you will not be able to sponsor.
- If you owe any immigration loan or failed to pay child support (for those with kids), you will not be allowed to sponsor.
- You have sponsored someone in the past and failed to meet the criteria including adequate funds, you will not be eligible.
- Find Sponsors who would take you to Canada
- How to sponsor your spouse/child for Canadian Immigration
- Inland Open Work Permit For Couples
- How Can I Sponsor My Girlfriend/Boyfriend to Canada
- Why You Need A Sponsor To Get To Canada